Monday, December 13, 2010

S1 E12: Cathexis

Yeah, I'm just going to have to let this holodeck-use thing go. I tried to believe that the crew was in denial, but really the writers are. This show is not TNG. It has its own premise and characters and that means sometimes you can't just fall back on conventions if you want to succeed. I know Picard and company had some fun and interesting adventures in the holodeck, and the Voyager writers wanted to tap into that, but it would be so much more compelling if they actually came up with something new and unique. Speaking of which, the whole thing that got me started on this, Janeway opens the show in a romantic-era British literature-based holodeck program. I mean... okay, here it comes...

I have heard the sentiment from time to time that Janeway is a bad captain because she is a woman. Really, people have said that to me, point blank. On each occasion, I have tried to give them an out, searching to interpret their statement in a way that isn't sexist, but have been rebuffed and told that they simply don't believe women belong in leadership positions. And what has made me extra uncomfortable about these statements is that I don't like Janeway either - does that make me sound like them?

Perhaps some background on me is in order; I am a nurse. I see shining examples of strong female leadership on a daily basis. I see the other side of the coin as well. Women can be good and bad leaders just like men. I do not believe that their femaleness has anything to do with it. Janeway just happens to be the victim of (A) terrible acting and (B) terrible writing.

I feel bad for not liking Janeway's acting because, in all the interviews I've seen her in, the actress (Mulgrew) is very passionate about Star Trek. I want to encourage that sort of thing. But I believe that she really is passionate about Trek, because I know how bad she is at acting, and couldn't fake it if she wanted to. She has almost no control over what she does with her face (compare to the Doctor, who seems to be able to flex every single muscle in his face individually and at will). The other part of the acting problem is that she was simply a poor casting decision. She delivers every single line with either CONDESCENSION or DISTASTEFUL SCORN. I just can't like a leader who speaks to all her subordinates as if they were naughty puppies.

The other problem, the writing, is probably more to blame. Listen to her lines. Imagine Picard is saying them. Go ahead, I'll wait. Okay, good. Performing this exercise over the course of the better part of a season, you start to get an impression of what the writers were trying to do: make her a "Female Picard". The effect is disastrous. The writers' idea of what makes her a woman (wishy-washy decisions, overly emotional, compassionate towards enemies to a fault) is incredibly sexist. I've even begun to think that the producers picked her as an actress because of her CONDESCENSION and DISTASTEFUL SCORN - because that's what they wanted for a woman Picard.

I had meant to save that indictment of the writers for the end-of-season wrap-up, but when Janeway came out for her womanized Dixon Hill holodeck program, I knew I couldn't stop myself. It was barely the first 2 minutes of the show... the show! That's right, let me review it. Maybe I'll get back to that other stuff another time. If, you know, it ever comes up again.

Tuvok and Chakotay are attacked while investigating a nebula (in a shuttle), from which Tuvok recovers but Chakotay is left with all of his neural energy missing. Meanwhile, Kes, playing Counselor Troi, vaguely senses a presence floating around the ship. No one thinks that it could possibly be Chakotay, and gets disproportionately scared of this alien presence as it possesses people and expertly uses the ship's systems. Really, everyone is acting a little possessed by a need to investigate this nebula. Why? It is clearly a threat. Exploration is not your mission here, people. At least give me some technobabble to explain what reverse anti flux proton quarks they need there. Anyways, Chakotay the incorporeal entity that is most certainly not Chakotay keeps trying to stop them from going there, so obviously they should go.

While everyone is being... uncomfortably shortsighted, we get B'Elanna hanging up in sickbay a tribal medicine wheel which Chakotay taught her to use (presumably while she wasn't killing her animal guide). She prepares to get defensive when the Doctor gives her some sidelong glances, but he explains to her that she is doing it wrong, and is actually guiding Chakotay's spirit to the realm of the antelope women, a place that he might actually find preferable to the sickbay. I like to think that Chakotay intentionally taught her to do it that way, and the Doctor is being a killjoy.

Also, more to put in the "reasons why the Doctor is awesome" file: The paranoia-addled crew decides that because the Doctor cannot be possessed, they'll have to give him all the command codes for the ship. His response is fantastic. He is, by programming, confident to a fault, largely because he is so competent. The subtlety with which he delivers his lines conveys a sense of trepidation through that confidence - a delightful contradiction. I mean, when you listen to his actual lines, you can easily imagine how a less accomplished actor might make them sound drab and make you roll your eyes every time he comes on screen. I'm glad that doesn't happen here. Then there's Neelix. He has another one of those scenes where he is unredeemably useless. But I'm not going to go into that now. Really, I'm holding that in, and moving on.

Well, the alien presence actually was Chakotay! Who knew?? I didn't know that Tuvok was possessed by a different alien for the entire episode, so that was at least a bit of a surprise. Chakotay saves the day, then the Doctor revives him (in that order), and that's it. The episode's over and I'm still asking: why?

Watchability: 2/5

Bottom Line: *shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment