Friday, December 17, 2010

Season 1 Evaluation

Caretaker4
Parallax3
Time and Again2
Phage2
The Cloud3
Eye of the Needle5
Ex Post Facto4
Emanations5
Prime Factors2
State of Flux3
Heroes and Demons4
Cathexis2
Faces3
Jetrel5
Learning Curve2
Average Score3.3

I liked this season more than I expected to. I didn't really expect any fives at all, let alone three of them. No ones, but it had more than its share of twos (though what first season of Trek doesn't?). At the same time, I kind of expect more from a series produced by people who have been doing the same thing for over seven years. Voyager has a big premise - lost far from home, a crew divided - but they're not really taking advantage of that. I don't need serial continuity, I don't need this to be another Battlestar, I'd just like more examination of their adventures in terms of their situation. Too often they'll try to reduce energy consumption one time, just to ignore it another (holodecks, I'm looking at you). Too often is the integration struggle conveniently ignored (and when it isn't, it is kept too tidy).

Watchability: 3/5

Bottom Line: Some gems, no completely unwatchable episodes, overall not bad. I've made it to season two largely unharmed.

Character Status: (Edit - I have gone back and ordered this list as I did for the Season 4 evaluation)

9. Kathryn Janeway: I've already said most of what I have to say about her in my review for Cathexis. All of that said, she is slowly getting better. Sloooowly. One thing Amanda pointed out is that it's annoying that she seems to be an expert on every technical topic on the show. More opportunity to be smugly superior, I guess.

8. Neelix: Oh boy. If I'd written this two episodes ago, it would have been a page-long diatribe like the bit on Janeway. It was as if he had been perfectly designed to be the worst character ever. If he were only excruciatingly cheerful, that would have been tolerable, but the writers also used him any time they wanted a character to be petty or jealous or shortsighted. So he just came out incredibly obnoxious. It would also have been better if he were at least competent at something, but no one seemed to be even able to stand his cooking. Then Jetrel happened, and I have hope again. Please, please don't let them take that away from me.

7. Chakotay: I'm of two minds on him. He is very likable so far, but maybe he shouldn't be. I mean, I'm very grateful that he's been level-headed and calm (to the point of sedate) most of the time, but he's also not acting like he was the captain of another ship. His willingness to be Janeway's complete subordinate despite having a decent resume himself (and a crew who is only loyal to him) is a bit unrealistic. I'd like to see less bland and more Malcolm Reynolds out of him.

6. Kes: It doesn't seem like they know what to do with her. Mostly she's Deanna Troi. But there hasn't been all that much exploration of what makes Kes work, so there's plenty of room for her to improve or worsen. We'll see.

5. Tom Paris: So far, he's been Riker without the rank. He's another "adjusted too smoothly" character. Honestly, after the premiere, the only episode where they've done much with him was the murder mystery one, and he doesn't do himself many favors there. Give me more of what he was in Caretaker, and I'll be happy.

4. Harry Kim: I'm a fan of Wil Wheaton now, but honestly Wesley Crusher had all the most terrible lines. Harry Kim so far has kind of been a Wesley without the annoying stuff. We haven't gotten a whole lot of him yet, but what I've seen has been good. Young and naive without being bothersome or a liability.

3. B'Elanna Torres: She had the most gradual easing into the crew of all the Maquis, and it has paid off. She's complex, a decent actress, and I look forward to seeing what else they do with her.

2. Tuvok: Tuvok is great so far. Tim Russ knows how to Vulcan. And the writers are showing restraint by not having him break out in emotion every single episode. I've warmed to the idea of a Vulcan as security chief in the same way that Odo worked well: security framed as the pursuit as order. In that light, a Vulcan is the perfect choice. But while Odo operated from a more Lawful Neutral perspective, Tuvok falls more into the Lawful Good category, so we get a slightly different take on things.

1. The Doctor: If you've been reading and don't know what I think of the Doctor, then I simply don't know how to express myself. He is currently the best part of the show.

Watchability: 3/5

Bottom Line: Some gems, no completely unwatchable episodes, overall not bad. I've made it to season two largely unharmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment